Sunday, October 11, 2009

My Groupie Moment

This weekend Taylor marched with the Pine View Middle School band in the Dixie State College Homecoming Parade.  We took her about a half hour early and set up our chairs to wait for the parade to begin. We got some pretty choice seats right next to the announcer's speaker. 
As the American Flag made it's way toward us, the voice on the PA announced that the Grand Marshall for the parade would be Elder Jeffery R. Holland, of the Quorum of the Twelve, who was a graduate of DSC back in the day. And sure enough, he and his wife followed the flag in the back seat of a convertible car.  The crowd was pretty sparse and they were only about 10 yards away from us. I couldn't resist the urge to yell, "We love you Elder Holland!" to which his wife replied "We love you too!"  
I don't know if Apostles get that many groupies, but I definitely have a special place in my heart for Elder Holland. I had just posted his conference talk from last week on my Facebook page (which was amazing) and it was such a surprise to be in such close proximity and in relative privacy to this great man. I kept trying to relive the moment and think of other more clever things to say, but I decided that I said exactly what I felt in the moment and still do. 
Taylor did a great job in the parade too, but meeting Elder Holland (sort of) was definitely a highlight!

5 comments:

Melanie and Curtis said...

How cool to see Elder Holland. I too love that man! His words are so inspiring! So neat that Taylor was in the parade too! I love your title, "groupie"...ha ha ha! Love ya Tonya!

Lyndsi said...

Truly such a special experience for you all! Elder Holland is extraordinary. I LOVED his historic conference talk as well. Surely he and his wife loved hearing your kind words! Thanks for sharing. :)

ScottJez said...

My favorite thing though was you wanting ask him to be your facebook friend.

Josie said...

I LOVE Elder Holland! He is definitely one of my favs! How cool that he was there....if we all would have only known! Very cool!

Anonymous said...

Great to hear about Taylor in the parade. (I am missing the usual pictures that you post though). Taylor - you are absolutely amazing with all of your incredible talents (be sure and use them for good - do not turn to the dark side). Love, Papa