Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Message Received

Okay, first of all, I have to thank all my dear friends and family who encourage me when I'm feeling a bit down, as evidenced in my last blog post. And, secondly, I have to say how grateful I am for the ways that the Lord blesses and teaches me...it should not continue to surprise me that He always sends me a personal message when I need it the most. This happened to me again today....

My alarm clock is set to BYU radio, and most days I am glad of this--there are the occasional mornings when I wake up to synthesized 70's Afterglow weirdness and that always puts me off,--but today there was lovely music to wake me, a selection of scriptures as I dressed, and a conference talk by Pres. Henry B. Eyring called "O Remember, Remember" that started just as I was heading downstairs. I love Pres. Eyring--mainly because he makes me feel better about crying everytime I get up to speak and if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me--so I paused to listen.

He was telling a story about coming home and passing his Father-in-law who was there working on a project for their home. He thought how grateful he was for the service his Father-in-law was giving him and then he heard a voice in his head, not his own, that said, "I'm not giving you these experiences for yourself. Write them down." Well, he went on to talk about how the records we keep of everyday simple things that happen in our lives will someday benefit our children and those who read the things we write. He said how from that time on he would ask himself how he had seen the hand of the Lord in his life that day and write down his thoughts. He challenged us to find ways to remember God's kindness in our everyday lives and in doing so, our testimonies will grow and we will be blessed.

I feel like these few minutes that I spent listening to the radio this morning gave me the answer to the woes of my previous blog entry and to the feelings that I've been having recently that I'm not finding enough joy in my life. I am so grateful for our living prophets and for this reminder that whenever I forget to acknowledge the Lord in my life is when I start to feel dissatisfied and down. I'm grateful that the Lord sends me these messages, personally, so that I can find happiness in the everyday, simple joy of living.

So, message recieved. From now on, whenever I feel like there isn't anything to blog about, I know what I need to do....remember how truly blessed I am and post it!

5 comments:

Melanie and Curtis said...

Tonya, thanks for sharing this message. It's so true that acknowledging the Lord in all things makes a huge difference in how we feel. Also...kind of along the same lines...don't you feel that when you are continually grateful for the little things around you..you feel more joy. Filling my life with gratitude is something I always want to do more of. It's a quality I admire in my dad. Anyway, I could go on and on but I won't. I love ya!

Anonymous said...

See why you should keep posting your everyday, wonderful moments?! Just when you thought your encouragement to continue came from family and friends...you should know, instead, your friends & family are taught and encouraged BY YOU!!! So, thanks for sharing/posting your wonderful moments...I am blessed because of it already! You are darling, Tonya!!

Anonymous said...

You want joy in your life, just come visit your MOM.......thanks for sharing the blog too......Love ya

Josie said...

Very nicely said!

Kara said...

I love your blog and everything about it! That talk by Pres. Eyring was so inspiring. Keep on bloggin, girl!