Thursday, January 29, 2009

Never Again!

We had the most amazing guest speaker at Millcreek High today. His name is Stephen Nasser and he was there promoting his book, "My Brother's Voice--How a Young Hungarian Jew Survived the Holocaust." He shared a very moving story about how he and his brother and mother along with several other relatives were taken from their homes and put in the Nazi concentration camps, including Auschwitz. He was the only one of 21 people taken that survived the ordeal. He witnessed the brutal deaths of his aunt, cousin, and his brother who died in his arms. His story was heartbreaking, but despite all of this tragedy, he was so uplifting and positive in sharing his messages of "We are all equals" and "Never Again."

I was so glad I went in to hear him speak....I almost stayed at my desk to work on files. It is so easy to forget so many years afterward that this horrific thing really happened. I was thinking my children probably don't even know that much about it...I am glad that there are people who have written down their experiences so we can remember. If you can believe it, his book was taken from a journal he kept while in the camp at age 13 on discarded concrete bags with pencils he got from the guards in trade for carvings he made with a Boy Scout knife he smuggled into camp!! It's hard for me to even wrap my brain around the suffering and inhumanity he talked about today.
I bought his book and I can't wait to read it. I think it will be a hard book to get through but I feel connected to this person now, since I shook his hand and heard his voice. What a privilege! If you want more info...check out the website: www.mybrothersvoice.com

2 comments:

Melanie and Curtis said...

Wow, what a life changing experience and good for him for making something positive out of it. I am interested in reading it now.

Becky said...

Ok, you may think I'm morbid, but I love reading books about World War II or watching documentaries. I am so fascinated to learn stories from all of the survivor’s weather they were in a camp or fighting on the ground, in the air, or in Japan. So many of them didn’t live to tell there story, but I am grateful for those who did. To me they are the un-sung hero’s who should be on the cover of magazines, receiving awards and living in comfort. Not these so-called movie stars, but that’s a whole other story.

Thank you for the information on this book. I look forward to grabbing a box of tissues and sitting down learn about Stephen Nasser and his experiences.